"When good people in any country cease their vigilance and struggle, then evil men prevail." - Pearl S. Buck

"The moment we break faith with one another, the sea engulfs us and the light goes out." - James Baldwin

About me.....

My photo
I'm a dreamer and perhaps too much of an eternal optimist. I always try to look at the glass as half full. Defiant and ferocious towards those who would seek to unjustly harm others, I speak my mind...for better or worse. Where as some view compassion as a weakness I view it as a strength. I try not to live in the shadows of my regrets because doing so dims the light and the promise of a new day. I do not strive for perfection for this is the quest of fools and denies a man the blessings of humility. The bonds of true friendship and family are to be protected...sometimes by the cunning, stealth, and tenaciousness of a mouse but other times by the wrath and fury of the dragon. I am one and yet I am both. This is my truth.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

We love you Reepicheep!!! - charity work, and other odds & ends

So I went to see the latest Chronicles of Narnia movie last Sunday and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Perhaps my favorite character in the whole movie was the swashbuckling mouse Reepicheep who played a very prominent role in the the 2nd installation of the series but really hit it on all cylinders in the third part. For those who are unaware of the Chronicles of Narnia movies (an on screen adaptation of the C.S. Lewis books) these stories partly set in the real world but for the most part set in the fantasy world of Narnia are allegorical tales connected in large part to the Bible and prominent biblical figures. The lion Aslan himself is often considered to be the representation of Jesus Christ, a font of wisdom and courage to those that need it the most, especially when times are most difficult and hope is dwindling. The movies, much like the books themselves, teach several profound lessons such as the nature of sacrifice, compassion, hope, and the inherent strength of good. Above all things and on many levels however the movies teach the important of faith.


The character Reepicheep was actually in the first Narnia movie, albeit in a way not alot of people are aware of.In Prince Caspian, Lewis states that Reepicheep is descended from a group of common mice who gnawed through the ropes that bound Aslan to the Stone Table after the White Witch had killed him; as a result of their service, they became talking mice.Much like the many tales in the Bible where people are gifted with miracles and special abilities for a service to good, Reepicheep and his brethen benefit from their act of selflessness and compassion.

Photobucket

In Prince Caspian, Reepicheep is the leader of the twelve mice who help to fight against Caspian's Uncle Miraz in the Second Battle of Beruna, near Aslan's How. He and his followers run through the battle and plunge their rapiers into unsuspecting enemy's feet, causing them to fall, after which they are quickly dispatched. Reepicheep is badly wounded in the battle, and he loses his tail. He petitions Aslan afterward to have it restored, as the tail is "the honour and glory of a mouse." Aslan expresses concern about whether the mouse thinks too much of his honour. However, Peepiceek (the second in command of the mice) and the other mice prepare to cut off their own tails to avoid bearing an honour denied to their leader. This solidarity convinces Aslan to restore Reepicheep's tail, apparently not "for the sake of his dignity", as Aslan states, but for the love Reepicheep's people bear him.Again here we are taught an important lesson of loyalty and unity in the service of good and the reward for doing so.

Photobucket
In the 2008 film version, Reepicheep led two other mice into Miraz's castle during a mission that did not appear the book. The three bound and gagged a cat during the operation. Halfway through, they teamed up with Trumpkin the dwarf and opened the gate, allowing Narnian soldiers into the castle.

Reepicheep appears at the very end of The Last Battle to greet the last of the Narnians at the Emperor's Garden. He is exactly as the Pevensies remember him, not having died or even aged in the hundreds of Narnian years that have passed since their time. Because of this, he is sometimes compared to St. Peter, who, in Catholic Christian tradition, is thought to guard the gates of Heaven and welcome the saints. His living departure into a symbolic heaven, however, is more reminiscent of the Old Testament figures Enoch and Elijah. Since Lewis was not a strict allegorist, it is of course quite possible that all three associations (or none) were intended.

Reepicheep's fate is also reminiscent of that of the main character from C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. In That Hideous Strength, Dr. Elwin Ransom also ascends to heaven without dying.


In The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Reepicheep accompanies Caspian on his voyage in the hope of finding Aslan's Country at the end of the world. He believes it is possible to sail to Aslan's Country because when he was a baby, a dryad prophesied:
Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.
During the journey, Reepicheep teaches Eustace Scrubb about honour, courage, and loyalty, even though at the start of their relationship Eustace treats Reepicheep with great disrespect. They eventually become fast companions, further accentuated in the 2010 film adaptation with the mouse continually riding Eustace in his dragon form in the air.

Photobucket

Near the Eastern edge of the world, Lucy, Edmund, Eustace and Reepicheep set forth from the Dawn Treader in a small row boat to the edge of the world. The three children are returned to our world through a door in the sky, while Reepicheep embarks in his own small coracle, paddles off in a different direction, and disappears. C.S. Lewis then implies, but does not explicitly state, that Reepicheep ultimately did reach Aslan's Country. (He appears in the final pages of the Last Battle ushering the children into Aslan's Country.)

Overall I found Reepicheeps character extremely enjoyable in the movie. Though small in stature his courage in the face of utter evil was awe-inspiring and larger than life (how else could you describe a swashbuckling anthropomorphic mouse charging fearlessly into combat against a malevolent kraken-like sea beast pulled from a nightmare and made real). I also found his relationship with Eustace to be very noble, taking the derisiveness of Eustace in stride and comforting him when Eustace was mired in despair. And how awesome was if to see Reepicheep riding a gold dragon into battle against great evil - rather ironic to me for some reason that escapes me right now. ;)

Photobucket
In other news it looks like my outline and adventure premise I am proposing for a Dungeons and Dragons company my buddy is part owner of has received strongly favorable reviews. I'm 75% finished with the outline edits and when I get the green light I am revving to get started on it. It's been a few years since I've been published in Dungeons and Dragons books and I'd like to add an adventure to the near dozen that I have already written and have been played around the world.

Lastly, my Project: Gallery of Superheroes that I have prepped for MegaCon is going well. I'm 90% done with all of the items and so far I've gotten solid support from those who have seen it. As part of the charity event aimed for kids attending the con I think it will go over well and make alot of them very happy. Closer to home I finished purchasing and gathering my supplies for my local homeless charity mission and I hope to get it going tomorrow in the latter part of the morning. I've got T-shirts, sandwiches, water bottles & sodas, and a few other items which I need to put together in bundles and get ready for the handout. I got some unexpected support from a friend of mine at work who found out about what I am doing - he's not really involved in the whole RLSH/costumed activist thing so I am encouraged by his offer of assistance. He sees what I what to accomplish and unlike my detractors, is not caught up in the hate mongering for the sake of just being chronic bile-spewers. Overall I hope this project gets off to a good start - I'm crossing my fingers...uhm...I mean paws.

I'd like to wish all my friends and family a very happy new year and as I've said before, if your doing the right thing and fighting the good fight then your detractors can't win. Do your part to help people in need who deserve it the most regardless of how big or small your act of charity might be. You won't always accomplish an enormous amount of good. You sometimes might accomplish a small amount of good. The point is to simply get out there and do some good, not sit on your butt in front of a computer screen and complain about those that do.


<<< End of the cheery part of my blog >>>

And what would my blog be without pointing out the chronic retardation that is the bulk of the RLSV community (mind you there are some rare exceptions to their overall mental malaise).

To the pudgy little Nosferatu that tried to post on my blog a few days ago... you should REALLY not harp on the subject of mental illness given your own admission of being a few bullets short of a full clip. And how's that promise you made to your wife to remove yourself from the whole RLSV-RLSH mayhem going? Not well apparently. Don't worry Jason, I genuinely hope that someday you'll get it right (though not likely).Lousy ex-soldier and lousy human being - you got it all covered!!!

To good old Lord M, the enigmatic Bronze Bedpan himself. The next time you decide to start giving people grief about them pointing fingers and making accusations of fellow RLSVs that may or may not be true and may come off as libelous/slanderous, clean up your own sordid affairs in this matter. Let's see... RLSVs accusing DC Guardian of being a pedophile...RLSVs accusing Captain Ozone of being a pedophile, child murderer, and animal killer....Poop Knife accusing Master Legend of manslaughter in one of his earlier blogs. There are more examples but I why bother. Oh and nice shout out to advocates of vandalism you made not long ago.

And Agent B, snide comments about physical appearance? Really...you making such comments..REALLY? But you keep toiling away at that hot dog place you work at. I mean, given your bulimic "I'm the victim of a serious beating" raccoon-eyed ROACH pic and your sparkling personality which engenders all the affection of gargling broken glass and razor blades their is little doubt that your current place of employment provides you with the closest experience you'll come to in your life to handling a sausage. I kinda understand why you hate so much on hot chicks on your blog - envy is one of the 7 deadly sins so have it Brunhilda!!!

And if you follow these instructions (and the MySpace RLSV grows enough of a pair to let you see it) you will find a few pictures from the MySpace page Free Information which serves as a cover for one of the more vocal RLSVs apparently promoting such things as pill popping, racism (the White Power kid), kids doing drugs and Nazi symbolism. I guess this is par for the course along with that happy happy joy joy email address, you know, the one chock full of Antisemitism.

Go to the following link: 

http://www.myspace.com/313265359?actp=n%2b0prKAebczfG13CmB%2fL170xxzjSK8k%2f19igSi%2f1c3udjracZft8Ck8ofUlmAvALe4mijbaXsyXXguY3aFJEzKyhoxYT%2fj%2b1RzpTu3DazNoTx%2bJx19Wu4mIyieqOncT1AxMzZ5totil2JOpIeyKnElm4GsUOkvJrB94PtWcqDfrQrkyshmaKFcT9CpCDhGRv1V37vB4fee8LOt1VyCPz0En1q8uErYLV2CzQDV8HNazLYdpSWfUsymf%2fM8DPsW87nk1nLx0uM7LOkcXGFi7O4g%3d%3d

Create a profile or befriend him. Then go to his Pics section. If he has not lost his spine (if ever really had one) and does not delete the pics then check out what I'm talking about. This is the same guy who once suggested in his blog that if you see an innocent person getting assaulted to stand by and watch but do nothing else. 



No comments:

Post a Comment